Wednesday, February 25, 2009

If you're thinking about adopting a dog....

There are pros and cons to all topics and the debate between adopting a dog and buying a pure bred puppy from a breeder is no exception. My stance on the issue? If you are committed to giving your dog the care, attention and love he/she needs I don't care where you find your dog....AS LONG AS IT'S NOT FROM A PUPPY MILL!!

Obviously saving a dog from a crowded shelter carries a ton of merit and our next dog will most likely be a rescue. But we don't regret researching a reputable breeder and paying for Balki as a puppy. I was never allowed to have a dog growing up due to my parents' allergies and a lot of travel. When the situation was finally perfect for Nancy and I to get a dog we did our homework and prepared for our new addition. I'm not sure I would have been as focused if I had gone to a shelter and picked up a dog that same day.

To each his own....just take good care of your dog and they will take good care of you. Oh yeah, the point of this post, here's a good article on adopting a shelter dog: Rescue a dog, save a life, gain a friend

No comments: